Tuesday, October 30, 2007

tour de force...

A new column on this blogosphere is an idea that came to me a few days pence. I am deciding to take a tour de force thru the music catalog of the world and choose the best song from each genre. Where possible, I will show a cover band playing the song, why, because I love me a cover band. I have seen Marky Mark's hit film Rockstar at least 10 times. Now for the first entry.

SKA
This kind of music had all the ability to be awesome, but often sucked. Some of the notable sucky bands were Smashmouth and whoever else you can name. Maybe the best bands were Fishbone and Reel Big Fish. I often thought a ska band would be the most fun band to be in, they always have the one random guy dancing (or skanking) which I always enjoyed, and I love the trumpet. Seriously I'm always talking about trumpets, not trombones, I don't like those as much, I'm talking Satchmo. For those of who maybe were in middle school during the late 90's and weren't allowed to touch the radio in your Mom's Camry, ska basically always caught me as a bunch of orchestra players who got sick of playing Taps and Beethoven and stared whaling.

People who like ska generally mean well, but I dont think you want them watching your children.

The Best Ska song as voted on by me is "The Impression That I Get" by the Mighty Mighty Bosstones. Play it, you will rock out, you will, you will lose control of your neck and your head will start to bob. Notice in this video the ridiculous hats people are wearing, and how everyone shouts the chorus. The latter I can appreciate because the chorus are the only words I know. But I cannot get down with hats. This band also seems to be made up exclusively of McLovins. Also of note, the drummer is the singer, which is very Genesis, and I can totally get down with it, but I wonder, without a lead singer, who will do angry at the microphone stand type moves that the crowd goes nuts for. At minute 1:55 and then again at :29 the guy in the front row that you can just see his back, he is skanking.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i agree with this song choice as the best representative of the genre... good call. i don't think that B-nard and Sweetness would like it, though.