Wednesday, October 31, 2007

tour de force 2...

Mainstream 90's Rap

The second installment in our tour de force de genres de muziq brings us to Mainstream 90's Rap. The 90's may or may not have been the golden age of rap. There were huge superstars making names for themselves, like Snoop Dogg, Biggie, and 2 Pac. There were some major superstars getting shot like snoop dogg, Biggie, and 2 Pac. And even some major superstars that got killed like Biggie and 2 Pac. I think the goal of a 90's rapper was to be famous enough that they didn't have to slang dope or work at burger king, but not famous enough that they got killed.

There was some super tight songs that came out during this time frame, Cross Roads by Bone Thugs, I Wish by Skee-lo, Gin and Juice by Snoop Dogg, etc... This was the kind of music that in 6th grade made you feel super cool. Once you and your boy got done talking about which TLC girl was the finest ( I can make a case for all three see the red light special video), you put on Yo! MTV raps and got some culture.

As a semi-pro rap superstar myself, I feel like I am semi well qualified to name "California Love" by Dr. Dre and 2 Pac as the best song of this genre. It had everything that you needed, a George Clinton like beat, some squeaky high voice box chorus, 2 bad ass trippin rappers. The video featured a Mad Max Beyond Thunder Dome type setting. I pride myself on knowing all the words, this is the kind of jam that you Karaoke too.

Probably the best line in this song is:
Out on bail fresh outta jail, California dreamin
Soon as I stepped on the scene, I'm hearin hoochies screamin

They Talking HOOCHIES

Regard this video, this guy could play your Bar Mitzvah. He strikes no fear in onlookers, his shirt makes him look like a sausage. Kids don't be this whack.

No comments: