Friday, November 16, 2007

The Force is touring

Call and Response

Our next installment of our musical journey takes us to one of the bangingest genres of all, Call and Response music. You might be saying what is this? Yo yo yo, check it.

When I say Doo Doo
Yall say Rhymes
DOO DOO
Rhymes
DOO DOO
Rhymes

That my friends is call and response. Nothing gets the party going faster. Old school Hip-Hop be known for this. You probably first caught up on it with "Hip Hop Hooray" by Naughty by Nature. Lord knows you couldn't escape from it during the Julia Styles style white girl in the inner city trying to make a name for herself but ends up on the wrong side of the tracks grooving to Fatman Scoop songs over and over teen dance movies. I honestly think she did the same movie like 4 seperate times.

Fatman Scoop probably provided the soundtrack to my highschool experience. No lyric probably characterized my senior year more than this:

u got a $100 dollar bill put your hands up
u got a $50 dollar bill put your hands up
u got a $20 dollar bill put your hands up
u got a $10 dollar bill put your hands up

single ladies i cant hear you
single ladies make noise
single ladies i cant hear you
single ladies make noise

all the chicken heads be quiet

I myself never carry cash on my person, its filthy.

So the best artists in this genre probably are the older fellas, your Biz Markie, your Doug E Fresh. The best song of this genre however, is performed by the best hypeman in the industry. A certain DJ Kool and it is entitled "Let me clear my throat." This song is just powerful. It starts off with that good sample from Kool and the Gang and then just explodes in your ears. Before this song I never knew the whooping cough could be so fun.

Peep this video, its the fraggles. They me be subterranean, but OH snap can they get down.

No comments: